The pattern for the Scheepjes CAL 2015 Flight of Fancy bag cover is ready.
I hope you will enjoy this crochet pattern a lot !
I would love to see a lot of pictures of your bags made with this pattern. So share them on instagram and use the tag : #FoFbag
I am running a **COMPETITION** to win a wonderfull package of Scheepjes Catona yarns, crochet hook and projects bag (everything you need to make my bag).
To be in with a chance to win : 1) Show me a photo on Instagram of your covered CAL Project bag and #FoFbag (only CAL bags made with this pattern can participate. Thanks.)
2) follow these instagram feeds : @scheepjes & @annelies_baes (the competition starts : July 16th and I will pick a winner and notify them via Instagram on : September 30th)
Many thanks to Scheepjes for sponsoring this competition.
– Crochet pattern for the jute Scheepjes CAL 2015 Flight of Fancy bag.
– Yarn : Scheepjes Catona, 100 % mercerized cotton. I used the 25gr balls. (the yarn is also available in 50gr balls). (1 ball, 25gr = 65 m).
7 balls of main colour 172, and I also used 24 extra different shades : 256, 384, 100, 212, 251, 201, 253, 386, 226, 401, 282, 392, 397, 252, 389, 246, 261, 128, 399, 205, 398, 391, 385 and 114 (you will need about 5-7 gr of each colour).
Deramores is offering a wonderfull kit for this bag project : CAL-bag kit
– Crochet hook : 3 mm (or any other hook size to obtain correct gauge).
– Used stitches : chain (ch), slipstitch (slst), single crochet (sc), double crochet (dc), treble crochet (tr), deep single crochet (dsc), shell (S). US crochet terms.
Deep single crochet : the dsc is always worked in the main colour. Work 1sc, making sure not to insert your hook in the coloured sc of the previous round, but in the 1ch-space of the round below. (you actually insert your hook 2 rounds lower, in the round also made in the main colour).
Shell (S) : 7 tr in 1 stitch
– Gauge : 20 sc x 26 rows = 10 x 10 cm or 4 in
– You also need : tapestry needle to weave in ends, scissors, mat and pins for blocking, ruler.
– Crochet chart and pictures : there is a small chart added, for the used stitch pattern. And I also added a lot of pictures too. (I am a leftie, you will notice it on the pictures).
close-up deep single crochet :
– first you make the bottom of the bag, in the main colour.
– the upper side of the bag/ body is worked immediately on to the bottom part.
– The body of the bag : work 1 coloured round in shell stitch pattern, followed by 1 round of sc in the main colour. Do not turn after the coloured round. You only turn after each sc round.
– After each coloured shell round : cut yarn.
– Do NOT cut the main colour yarn. Just leave it at the wrong side of your work, when it is not used.
– Row 1 : BOTTOM PART OF THE BAG : RS : With shade 172 : Ch57, start in 2nd ch, 1sc in every ch : 56sc, turn.
– Row 2-25 : 1ch, 1sc in every sc : 56sc, turn. (the rectangle will be a few cm smaller than the bottom part of your bag. This is normal. Otherwise the bag cover will be too wide and too large).
– Round 26 : Work 1 entire round of sc around the rectangle : first along the upper row : 1sc in 55sc and 2sc in last sc. Now work over the small part (26 rows) : a total of 16sc, so decrease stitches : work 10 times 2sctog equally spread over the row. Along the bottom part : (the first stitch is already made, because this is the last stitch of the small side, there are 55 stitches left) : 1sc in 54sc, 2sc in last sc. Now work along 2nd small side : 15sc : so work again 10 x 2sctog. Close round with 1slst in first sc, turn.
– Round 27 : : BEGIN BODY OF BAG : start in the corner, in the first stitch, work all around, this means you first work along the small side, followed by the long bottom side, next the 2nd small side and finally the large upper side : 1sc in work over bottom part : * 1sc in next 7sc, in next sc : 1sc+1ch+1sc, repeat from * another 6 times, work over 2nd short side : (1sc in next 7sc, in next sc : 1sc+1ch+1sc) x 2, work over the large upper side : see bottom part, work extra in the first stitch : 1sc+1ch, close with 1sc in first sc , turn.
– Round 28 : RS : With shade 256 : * 1sc in 1ch-space, in 4th sc (of 7sc) : 1S, repeat from * all around, close with 1slst in first dsc, cut yarn and do NOT turn.
– Round 29 : RS : With main colour : cast on with slst in sc, work here : 1dsc, in S : 1sc in first 3tr, in center tr : 1sc+1ch+1sc, 1sc in last 3tr, * 1dsc in sc, S : 1sc in first 3tr, in center tr : 1sc+1ch+1sc, 1sc in last 3tr, repeat from * all around. Close with 1sc in first sc, do not cut yarn, leave it on the wrong side. Turn.
– Round 30 : WS : Attach shade 384, in first sc : 4ch+3tr, * 1sc in 1ch-space, in dsc : 1S, repeat from * all around, and end in first sc, work here as well : 3tr, close with 1slst in 4th ch, cut yarn and do NOT turn.
– Round 31 : WS : With main colour : with main colour : 1sc in 4th ch, 1sc in next 3tr (half S), * 1dsc in sc, in S : 1sc in first 3tr, in center tr : 1sc+1ch+1sc, 1sc in last 3tr, repeat from * all around, and end with 1sc in last 3tr. Close with 1sc+1ch in first sc, do not cut yarn, leave it on the wrong side. Turn.
– Round 32-75 : Rounds 28-31 form the pattern rounds. Keep repeating them. The shades I used : 256, 384, 100, 212, 251, 201, 253, 386, 226, 401, 282, 392, 397, 252, 389, 246, 261, 128, 399, 205, 398, 391, 385 and 114.
– At the end of round 75 : cut yarn, leaving a 75cm (30in) tail and cast off. (this thread will be used at the end to attach the bag cover to the juten bag).
– Weave in all ends and block your bag.
– Bag handles : Make 2 identical handles : Use main colour 172.
– Row 1 : Ch9, start in 2nd ch : 1sc in every ch : 8sc, turn. – 8sc
– Row 2-6 : 1ch, 1sc in every sc, turn – 8sc
– Row 7 : 1ch, 1sc in every sc : 8sc. Cast on 9sc extra (use method : single crochet base chain : here is a nice tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6QhfnOga4w ) , turn. – 17sc
– Row 8 : 1ch, 1sc in every sc, turn. – 17sc
– Row 9 : 1ch, skip 1sc, 1sc in 15sc, 1slst in last sc, turn. – 15sc
– Row 10 : 1ch, 1slst in first sc, 1sc in 13sc, 1slst in last sc, turn. – 13sc
– Row 11 : 1ch, 1sc in 12sc, 1slst in last sc, turn. – 12sc
– Row 12 : 1ch, 1sc in every sc : 12sc, turn. – 12sc
– Row 13 – 90 : 1ch, 1sc in every sc, turn. – 12sc
– Row 91 : 1ch, 1sc in 11sc, 2sc in last sc, turn. – 13sc
– Row 92 : 1ch, 2sc in first sc, 1sc in 11sc, 2sc in last sc, turn. – 15sc
– Row 93 : 1ch, 2sc in first sc, 1sc in 13sc, 2sc in last sc, turn. – 17sc
– Row 94 : 1ch, 1sc in every sc, turn. – 17sc
– Row 95 : 1ch, 1sc in 8sc, turn. (leave the rest of the row unworked) – 8sc
– Row 96-101 : 1ch, 1sc in 8sc. At the end of row 101, cut yarn and cast off. – 8sc
– Sew the beginning part and the end part of the handles on to bag with small sewing stitches. Start on the inside of the bag, and afterwards, sew the outher side.
– Fold the long small parts over the handles of the bag, crochet together with sc. (or slst, if your prefer a smaller seam).
– Weave in all ends.
– Now ‘pull’ the bag cover over the juten bag. Make sure the bottom part fits nicely. Next fold the bag cover back again, so you can easily sew the bottom of the bag cover to the bag itself. Sew with little invisible stitches, and carefully stretch the crocheted bottom so everything fits nicely.
– Pull the bag cover upwards again, and carefully sew the upper side to the bag, with small stitches.
– Weave in the last ends and ready !
– Enjoy your lovely bag J
– You can also download the pattern as a pdf file here : PATTERN CATONA BAG
Pattern Copyright : @Annelies Baes – @Vicarno
This pattern is for personal use only. Do not copy, reproduce or sell this pattern. (either digitally or in print). Do not post this pattern online (either the entire document, or a part of it).
You may sell items made by using this pattern, when crediting Annelies Baes – Vicarno as the designer.
Yarn shops and yarn sellers : do not sell this pattern or distribute it without my permission.